Pages

2.26.2010

The Only Option is the Public Option

I look for do-gooders in any field, from social work to commerce. They're out there, everywhere. Except maybe in politics. Is it the compromises they have to make, the pay offs they inevitably take, or are political "do-gooders" eaten up so early on that they abandon politics altogether for a field where they actually can make change happen?

I feel like a pretty resourceful person most of the time, but I don't know how to stand up and make demands like the wild protestors did in the 60's. In a lame attempt to do something (though I suspect it's hardly better than nothing), I wrote my senator today to implore that he sign on to the public option.
Dear Senator Nelson,
I am writing to ask you to support the passage of the public option through reconciliation. My husband and I are two hard working freelancers (musician and journalist/educator, respectively). We are good at what we do and love how we contribute to society, even though it means we live on modest incomes. Because of pre-existing conditions, we cannot buy health insurance on the individual market, nor are we eligible through trade/group plans. We are very healthy and regularly pay for preventative check ups out of pocket. If there's ever an accident, however, we are totally vulnerable and would be a drain on the system - or in the words of Congressman Grayson, we'd be best to "Die quickly." The best medical tools in world are in our country, yet the working poor, like us, do not have access. How is this okay? Do you think the way it is is the way it should be, or are you willing to stand up for what's right? I ask you Senator, who will stand up for us?
Best,
Dawn M. Elliott

No comments:

Post a Comment