Pages

1.14.2010

Ship Me to the South Pacific

When I first saw the movie South Pacific as a kid, I couldn't understand why some lady was upset that her boyfriend had "brown children." Last night as I settled into my seat at the Straz to prep for this weekend's audio description gig, I was looking forward to hearing the silly line I remembered from the movie. Shortly after the kids made their first brief entrance, however, my juvenile anticipation was spoiled by what I took as ignorance when an older gentleman behind me asked loudly to no one in particular: "Those are his kids?!"

South Pacific holds up well in the current era because of thinly veiled racism and our never-ending wars. I am a little surprised such a story was written 60+ years ago...but perhaps not so surprised that we sadly face the same problems today.

No comments:

Post a Comment